Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Monsoon

My son recently took an art class in high school.  He does not consider himself artistic in any way.  The projects required did not seem appropriate for a beginning art class at all which only added to his dismay.  One of the first projects was painting a still life.    He was really concerned about his ability to paint anything realistic so I suggested we sit down at the table together and just do a practice project and see where it took us.  This is what he came up with.


While this was not what the teacher had in mind for a still life, I really loved it.  It is probably the only painting my son will ever create.   As it was a warm-up project, we did not use good paper and thus it has already curled at the edges.   I did scan it into a computer folder for safe-keeping, however, I really wanted to have a lasting impression of this so I decided to make it into a quilted wall hanging.  Here is what I came up with.

Monsoon

This is my first quilted project inspired by art.  The rust, turquoise, and maroon/gray fabrics are from my hand-dyed hemp stash.  Remnants of other projects put into good use.   The rust and turquoise fabrics are hemp jerseys which I was a bit reluctant to use but once fused, they were quite a nice surprise.  They really puffed up well with quilting and there were no issues with stretch at all.  I have several other hand-dyed jerseys in my stash and after doing this little trial project, I am pondering a much larger one.

All that is left to do with "Monsoon" is to add binding and a hanger.  I already have a place picked out to display it.

You might be wondering what my son thinks of it.  First, he was astounded that I liked this picture so much that I'd even want to recreate it.  And second, he LOVES it.   Perhaps it will inspire him to paint something else.

This post is linked up with Freshly Pieced Modern Quilts WIP Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment