Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Anna's Flower Garden

It's done and boy am I glad for that.   It turned out really cute but it was a LOT of work.  At one point, I really asked myself why I thought this was a good idea.  That was when I was about 3/4 of the way through putting the hexagons together and TIRED of them.  But I finished it.





With each completed project, I take some time to think about what worked and what didn't.  What I'd do differently, etc.  In this instance, I will readily tell you that it was my first and last "Flower Garden" quilt.  In person, it is really awesome to look at and feel.  But the piecing grew boring and tedious.  And even with an open-toe walking foot, it was hit or miss if the seams would end in the right spot.  As a result, I quilted it heavily so it won't decide to come undone with regular use.   I am finding that there are some projects where I really like the piecing but not the quilting and others work the opposite.  I didn't mind the quilting on this but it would have been better with the regular cotton batting I generally use.  However, I figured it would hide the "issues" I did not fix in the quilt top.  It mostly did.   I don't use extra puffy batting again though. 

After several quilting projects done, I am finding that I really enjoy piecing and quilting "art" quilts and I have one well under way currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment